Founded in 2015, Matrix delivers comprehensive network services including design, engineering, activation, fiber splicing, outside plant construction, and circuit testing to customers in the Midwest. Matrix is headquartered in West Chicago, Illinois.
Full-time, non-exemptChicago, IL
Primary responsibilities include ability to splice/test/repair cables/wires in both indoor and outdoor settings, read, create, and maintain splicing diagrams, maintain activities surrounding the assigned work site(s), and take splicing field notes.
- Ability to read prints and understand the fiber optic color code to install and test fiber cable in a variety of environments (underground, aerial)
- Ability to use fiber fusion splicing machines (including a mass fusion splicing machine) and operate a variety of different OTDR and power meters
- Ability to a place both aerial and underground splice closures along with a variety of other closures common to the splicing and termination of fiber optic cables
- Perform testing utilizing OTDRs, Power Meter/Light Sources, and VFLs. Record and document testing per customer specifications.
- Bond and ground fibers according to client specifications
- Always maintain a professional working attitude with co-workers and customers and adhere to safety practices and procedures
- Additional responsibilities as directed by the Foreman/Construction Manager
- Familiarization with Fujikura splicing tools and materials is a plus
Required Skills and Qualifications
- 1 + years of experience as a fiber splicer
- Experience while working from blueprints, specifications, and system documentation
- Will have a thorough working knowledge of the most widely used construction practices of fiber cable
- Current valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required
- Must be capable of carrying a 24-foot ladder and wearing fall protection when needed
- Work up to 6 days per week in an all-weather environment and be willing to travel as required
- All applicants must follow safety guidelines and wear personal protective
- The networks we design and build enable everything in the modern world to operate, from healthcare and energy to transportation and communities.
- Our greatest asset is our people and here you have the opportunity to build your career from the ground up, as far as you want to go.
- Founded on safety and family values, we have the GRIT to be the best at what we do and have fun while doing it.
- A culture of employee recognition & rewards for GRIT core values
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Employer Paid & Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability & Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA*)
- 401(k) with up to 3% company match
- Free Wellness & Mental Health Resources
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Paid Time Off**